Seasonal And Secondary Home Insurance

You finally have that place on the lake, in the country, or in the mountains. It is your little piece of paradise, your home away from home. But what happens when you’re not there? Is your property secure? Is it protected? What if there was a fire, a wind storm or an act of vandalism?

Do you have the proper insurance? It depends on the home. If it is a secondary home, then you should purchase a secondary home Insurance policy. This type of policy provides similar comprehensive coverage that your home insurance policy would cover. What is considered a Secondary Home? Usually, the property must be year-round accessible, heated, and used on a regular basis. This type of coverage can be combined with your existing principal residence policy or on a stand-alone basis with select insurance companies.

If it is a seasonal home, or truly rustic cabin, then the coverage options available are not as broad as those available for a secondary home. Coverage options are usually restricted to Named Perils Coverage. Burglary and Malicious Damage coverage may be purchased at an additional cost.

Other considerations when deciding on appropriate insurance coverage include but are not limited to docks, boat houses, outbuildings, and personal property kept at the cottage.

Liability is restricted to the location and is not personal liability.

Do you need to protect your home away from home? We have not only a wide range of coverage choices,  but we have a deep understanding of them.Our insurance agents can help you grasp how to categorize your seasonal home as well as the best ways to protect your well-deserved piece of paradise.